It is no longer news that we are living in a highly digitalized economy but what is news is that if you fail to acquire digital skills, you may become irrelevant in today’s economy. Here are five reasons why you should acquire digital skills.
1. TO BE RELEVANT IN TODAY’S DIGITAL ECONOMY. Most organizations are now aware that majority of their customers are on the internet. This is why there is an increase in the demand for websites, digital marketing skills, mobile apps, contents etc. Having one or more of these skills sets you apart from other candidates in the labour market. Even if you have a job, you are more useful to the organization than your colleagues due to your versatility and of course you are more likely to advance and survive any downsizing or retrenchment.
2. GOOD PAYING JOB: Organizations are going digital and as a result, they are looking for workers who will fit into new roles and retrenching those who have refused to upscale. Recently as a result of the Corona Virus Pandemic, so many organizations were forced to go online in order to retain their customers. So many employees who do not have the required digital skills lost their jobs. If you are looking to get a good paying job or retain the one you have, then your best bet is acquiring digital skills. As long as you are good at what you do, there will always be the need for your services.
More so, as the digital world evolves, so will the need for more & more digital skills. So irrespective of your profession, if you are searching for a job or you need to change an unfulfilling job, acquire a digital skill now! Digital skill is no longer the required, it is now the default setting.
3. START & GROW YOUR BUSINESS:
If you are a small business owner and you are still running your business the old way, it is only a matter of time before you close shop. Wake up! The way people buy have changed. They no longer want stress. They prefer to seat in the comfort of their homes and offices and have access to products and services. The question is, is your business online, can they find you if they need to buy from you? Do you have a system whereby they can see your products online and be able to pay you without having any physical contact with you? If your answer is no to any of the questions, then you need to as a matter of urgency do something.
You can use digital skills like digital marketing, content writing, SEO to grow business by creating brand awareness and reaching more people. Rather than pay a large sum of money to agencies to help you grow your business, having digital skills can go a long way in helping you maximize your Return on Investment (ROI). Also, with digital skills, you can start your own web design, digital marketing or content writing company.
4. CHANGE YOUR CAREER: Let’s face it! You probably don’t like your job either because you are being over utilized and underpaid or it’s not a career-fulfilling job. You can dedicate few hours per day or week to learn and perfect one or more digital skills, then you are well on your way to becoming financially independent. You can start as an intern and work your way up to the top from there. One of the most beautiful thing about us humans is that we can learn anything. Actually, everything we know we learnt; nobody was born with any skill, so why cling to a title that is no longer relevant or that is not improving your financial standing.
5. POWER YOUR IDEAS AND HOBBIES: one of the most frustrating thing is having an idea and not having the required skill to drive it. You probably have an idea or a hobby you feel will benefit the world but you don’t know how to package it and present it to the world. My friend, technology has levelled everything and you can now connect with the whole world and you never know who is interested in that your idea, product service or hobby. With digital skill, you will have the required knowledge and skill to package and promote anything.
6. SIDE HUSTLE: You have bills to pay, and having one source of income will not pay them all. This is why you need other sources of income. With digital skills, you can work as a freelancer for different organizations and still do your normal day job. There are many freelance sites you can work. Many Nigerians are making thousands of dollars in a month just by freelancing. The amount you make depends on the amount of time you are willing to put in.
It’s now obvious that acquiring digital skills and gaining new qualifications is the key to achieving your dreams and living your dream life in this digital age. Those who take bold steps to learn new digital skills will be the ones to reap the benefits of long-term success. Though, all these require adequate planning, training, patience, the passion to succeed and continuous practice.
So whether you are a student, a fresh graduate looking to start your career, an employee seeking to change your job, a small business owner looking to grow your business or a career professional seeking to get a promotion, acquiring digital skills now will save you from the unpleasant experiences of tomorrow.